Post 16

Mass confusion ensues when reading Gabriel García Márquez’s “Eyes of a Blue Dog” for the first time. Starting the story off with a scene occurring inside of a dream is very alien for a student of literature that is not familiar with the author’s style of writing. It was only later on that I gained a sense of what García Márquez’s writing style was like and how to approach a basic understanding of it.

“When she finished, she closed the box, stood up again, and walked over to the lamp once more, saying: ‘I’m afraid that someone is dreaming about this room and revealing my secrets.’” (García Márquez 51)

Thoughts of Christopher Nolan’s Inception and Guillermo Samperio’s “She Lived in a Story” instantly came to mind once I acquired a basic understanding of the story. After analyzing the story several times, I began to doubt the narrator more and more. We are only given the man’s perspective of the story and it struck me later on that he might not be entirely reliable. There is no omniscient narrator, which rules out any neutrality amongst the characters. As far as plot goes, “Eyes of a Blue Dog” transcends reality and makes the reader question how meaningful our dreams truly are.