Who Lived in a Story?

Guillermo Samperio’s “She Lived in a Story,” is a matrix narrative that delves into three different stories. However, great confusion arises when Ofelia acknowledges the existence of her fictitious author, Segovia, and her real author, Samperio, who is scripting the actual story.

“I insist on thinking that he writes with his typewriter precisely what I write, word upon word, only one discourse and two worlds. Guillermo writes a story that is too pretentious; the central character could have my name. I write that he writes a story that I live in” (Samperio 60).

The initial narrative about Segovia coming home from the lecture to write his story is presumed to be the primary narrative until Ofelia comes into the picture. Only now does it become questionable whether Segovia’s narrative remains the primary story after Ofelia begins writing about her current situation. Ofelia writes, “I write that he writes a story that I live in” (Samperio 60). This would convey that Ofelia is now responsible in choosing which direction the story will continue, rather than Segovia. Ultimately, the story as a whole is open ended and I can’t help but feel that Samperio did this intentionally.